Day 743 a lethargic day… 😴

There’s been a lot of huffing, puffing and sighing today. I am tired but also in one of those really lethargic slumps.

Ever have one of those days? Everything is too much trouble. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

In all honesty, despite that, it’s been a good day. It was quiet in the office as it felt like everyone was on holiday apart from me (not entirely true!) yet I was very busy and got lots done.

I didn’t sleep well last night. I get like I was switched on all night.

My heart rate was above resting heart rate for most of the night. I felt every beat… ok so not quite, drama Queen… 😆

Our road is closed this week which means I needed to detour on the way home… and despite my lethargy I actually remembered! There are cars doing 3 point turns all over the place though as people try to get through them.

I’ve just watched two cars fly past the window which is ridiculous seeing as the closure isn’t far from the house… someone had opened the road?!? People just don’t follow any rules these days!!!

Anyway…. the Farm was great today though I really struggled to move my legs! When I left I caught these lovely daffies…

This is where we work out….

The sunrise was stunning this morning.

So I’ve been thinking about our lovely neighbours travelling through America to Australia, all day. I’m so envious but not in a bad way… I wish them an amazing journey.

It reminds me so much of my solo journey to Australia, New Zealand and Thailand in 2004-2005. It was the journey of a lifetime. At times I still can’t believe I did it. I was scared of my own shadow for most of my life yet a burning desire to travel consumed me in late 2003.

Great Uncle Ernie emigrated to Australia 🇦🇺 when he was 19 so we’ve always had a family connection and I’ve always had a fascination with the country. Gran and Grandpa went out, Mum and Dad went and then my brother went on a gap year. I was the only one that hadn’t been.

My previous marriage ended in September of 2002 and the Scottish electronics industry was in turmoil. I had lost 2 jobs already with the transfer of production from Scotland to either the Far East or the Czech Republic.

I was lucky enough to earn a years salary by the time of my third redundancy package. However, I couldn’t face trying to “sell myself” again. Pending divorce and losing 3 jobs left me feeling pretty despondent.

I was desperate to travel. I spoke to everyone I could think of but everyone had commitments that meant they couldn’t come with me. I had just bought my own flat which meant I had commitments that I couldn’t just run away from.

Yet I couldn’t put the idea out of my mind.

So…. On 24th January 2004 I flew out of Edinburgh Airport.. on my own… bound for Melbourne via Singapore. All by myself and I have never been more excited and more terrified in my life. My flat was let out for 6 months and yet I was certain I would only last 2 weeks.

In the early days of mobile phones, my dad and my brother actually navigated me around the airport in Singapore. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣

I remember thinking I could actually manage that part myself but I know they were worried about me.

I went to stay with Great Uncle Ernie and Auntie Margot and they were the most amazing hosts and made me feel so very welcome.

I also spent a lot of time with my mums cousins Steve and Callum and in particular, Steve’s wife Linda. Looking back I lived with them all on and off for about 4 months. They were so accommodating and welcoming. They made it easy to be away from home on my own.

I worked for 3 the mobile phone company in Melbourne for 3 months and saved some more money before I started my tour.

I travelled from Melbourne in June 2004 through the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide. I visited Kangaroo Island before heading up through the centre of Australia on a Groovy Grape backpackers tour. We took in Coober Pedy, Uluru, Alice Springs, Katherine Gorge, Kakadu National Park and on to Darwin.

Then flew from Darwin to Cairns and travelled as much of the east coast as I could. The longest trip was a 12 hour bus journey from Brisbane to Newcastle, north of Sydney… by the time I got there my ankles were as big as my knees!!

I headed back to Melbourne then flew from Melbourne to Perth and toured around some of Western Australia. I worked as an Outback Barmaid in a place called Dowerin for a month before heading back to Melbourne for Christmas. That was an experience and a half.

I have so many photos of my trip that I really must get them off the computer and onto my phone…

Anyway, I’ve been reminiscing a lot. It was a very special time for me. I stepped massively out of my comfort zone. I did things I could never have even imagined. Sea kayaking with dolphins, whale watching, sand dune sledging (😳😬🤣) sleeping in a swag, driving a 4×4 across the beaches on a Fraser Island….. to name a few.

Yet I came back to hit the rat race because I felt I should….

I’m rambling big time now… but I’m smiling at the memories.

To be continued one day…

Stay safe everyone 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿♥️🇦🇺

4 thoughts on “Day 743 a lethargic day… 😴

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s